Helpful Hints for Strengthening Vision
Unlike every other part of the human body, your eyes are quite delicate and need to be looked after carefully. Your eyes will not get stronger with regular use or toughen up like muscles. If you strain them, it will only lead to problems. Hence the saying, ‘like the apple of my eye’ when alluding to something precious. You need to protect your eyes from sunlight and UV radiation as it might lead to problems later on in life. A 20-20 vision is something most take for granted, and we realize how precious our eyes are only when we are faced with a problem. Impaired vision and vision loss is ranked among the top ten disabilities in America.
- When you are struggling with poor eyesight and require prescription glasses to see and read clearly, there are plenty of things you can do to improve your vision. Having a break of at least ten minutes for every hour you spend poring over a book or staring at your computer screen is vital to retain your healthy vision and avoid problems. Eating plenty of leafy green vegetables, omega-3 fatty acids rich foods like fish and soy-protein have all been known to help improve vision.
There are many simple tricks to improve and strengthen your vision. Getting proper shuteye and resting your eyes, having regular and periodical eye exams by your eye doctor are essential to maintain the health of your vision. You can also strengthen your vision by eating food rich in necessary nutrients for a healthy vision and fresh vegetables.
Some simple eye exercises can also help to bring back the sparkle to your eyes. They include:
- Rolling your eyes clockwise and anti-clockwise, ten times each, starting from the top view.
- Hold a pencil or imagine holding an object in a straight line from your nose at arm’s length; slowly bring the object closer to your face until its a few inches from your nose, all the while keeping your eyes focused on the object.
- It is absolutely essential to take care of your eyes by wearing protective gear when you are in extreme weather, like skiing or swimming or facing heavy winds, etc. In the fall, if you are prone to allergies, your eyes might present problems when exposed to some kinds of grass pollen. Wearing protective goggles can prevent such irritants from entering your eyes.
- Eye-healthy foods include leafy green vegetables that are rich in Vitamins A, C & B-12. Spinach, cabbage, kale and broccoli are particularly helpful.
- Fish and eggs are ideal for good vision and battling age-related issues. An egg a day and 2-3 fish courses in a week are considered ideal, and this routine will help prevent dry-eyes.
- Bright yellow or orange colored fruits and vegetables are also considered to be eye-healthy foods; for instance, pumpkin, carrots, squash and sweet potatoes fall in this category.
- Dark colored foods like chocolate, blueberries and blackberries contain flavonoids and other antioxidants. They help in keeping your LDL cholesterol under check and help in preventing macular degeneration by regulating the blood vessels.
- Garlic and onion are two food ingredients that are friends of your vision, as they contain sulfur which is the key to maintaining healthy lens.
At Valuvision, we are well aware of the value of our patients’ eye care and comfort. We are a firm owned and locally operated by a team of eye doctors and not a corporation. We consider the comfort of the patients first and that is our only priority. We have been operating in the Jacksonville, Florida area for more than 35 years and have built up a solid reputation through sheer grit and dedication to our patients’ welfare. Call us today for a free consultation and eye exam.Leave a reply